Thursday, December 04, 2008

BUT Baby it's Cold Outside...

SO, today we're featuring a two for one...
We're walking back to the car after Gymboree
and Isaac's art teacher says, "See ya later honey-bunch."
To which Isaac replies, "I'm not a honey-bunch, I'm
sugar-bear!" This gets a laugh from the art teacher
whereupon I suggest to Isaac to tell her what his
brother's pet name is (I, apparently, was experiencing a
severe memory lapse at this particular moment forgetting
that the boys often argue over the possession of Eli's
pet name of Foo-Foo). So, Isaac grabbing the moment
shouts at the teacher who is, by now, getting in her car,
that he's NOT sugar-bear, he's FOO-FOO. I immediately
realize my mistake and start the emotional clean-up
attempting to honor the "Foo-foo" pact Eli and I had made
in the wee morning hours the day Isaac was born,
before he was born, that he, Eli, would always be
my first and only foo-foo. So, to avoid a high-octane tantrum
in the parking lot on the coldest day of the year so far,
I begin to suggest other cool names and the first thing
that pops out of my mouth is, "Love monkey"
to which Isaac loudly replies,
"I'm not the LOVE MONKEY, that's Daddy!
Daddy is the Love Monkey!" This produces a large
fit of giggles from the poor art teacher who is still trying
to get into her car. We side-step the whole foo-foo faux pas
with a Tootsie-Roll. Do you know how hard those things
are when they've been left in a frigid car? Have you ever tried to
wipe too-hard-tootsie-roll spit off of your
kid's chin in sub-zero temps?
AND...my kids' daddy is, indeed, a love monkey... :)


The most exciting moment of the day for Isaac is when
Eli gets home from school and can respond to
his question, "Eli, do you have homework?" (Read,
Eli, can you play with me now?) Today, Eli had no
homework and the boys (all three, think dog) were
dying to get outside in the little spitty (yes, s-P-itty)
bit of snow that we got last night.
So, we're bundling up to go out and
Isaac decides that he needs to tell me repeatedly that
it is very cold out and he really needs, "glubs". I keep
telling him that I know he needs "GLOVES" since
I AM a certified mommy and everything I can figure out
that a 5 below wind-chill requires, at least, gloves for the
whole 15 minutes that they'll get to go out.
He doesn't get it and keeps hollering at me,

"But, but, but MOM, I NEED glubs!"

No comments: